November 29, 2011

Cattleya porphyroglossa

This is yet another one I am excited to see blooming, Cattleya porphyroglossa. This 'chid can get p'bulbs a whopping 60 cm (2') tall, with several 7.5 cm (3"), fragrant flowers. Since I had originally bought the larger epiweb slab for the now dead Blc. Yellow Buttons, I decided to mount this little guy on it.

Here is the whole plant, with the largest p'bulb is about 5 cm (2.5") tall. It has two new growths, one that is a good while developed, and another just starting.





Here is the whole mount with plenty of room to grow in the future.




A close-up of the new growth.


And the back of the mount with a thin layer of sphag. This is the keep a little bit of moisture without having it around the roots.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great and now I know what epiweb is! BTW, background with doors to your closet with orchids is very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, epiweb is really neat! Thanks for the compliment! I can't wait for this 'chid to bloom, of course, mostly because I want to breed with it! It is a little used species, with only two hybrids to its' name! (One is a natural hybrid with C. intermedia)

    ReplyDelete