November 16, 2011

Laelianthe Meadow Gold

Ugh, the one plant that I wanted to keep as one and not divide out of all the ones I have repotted, and this one just happens to be three separate 'chids! Oh well, just another reason to love Cloud's, you usually end up getting more that one 'chid in a pot, so you have extra to trade!!!
A piece for me!
A piece to trade! This one just finished working on its' third p'bulb, which was just sending out four new roots when I repotted it.
Oh, what's this? Another piece to trade! :D This one is almost finished its' third growth
And here is all three happily potted up!

    Now, looks can be deceiving, as these three 'chids are not potted in all sphagnum. They are all potted in a mixture of CHC and chopped sphagnum, since they were originally potted in straight sphag, I didn't want to shock the roots too bad with a repot straight into CHC. The largest piece, which I am keeping, has the largest ratio of CHC/sphag, and there is a greater amount of sphag in the next largest one in the middle, and yet a greater amount of sphag in the smallest one on the right. The one thing I love about this species is that it grows ridiculously faster than either of the species parents, which are (L. anceps x Gur. aurantiaca).
    Now, in case your first meeting with IOSPE was in my last post, I thought I would explain it here. The Internet Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia is a website that contains a pretty good amount of info about a good chunk of orchid species out there. From now on, I think it would be a great idea that when it comes to species or primary hybrids I am offering for trade, I will put a link to the species or parents of that particular 'chid in question. So in this case it would be, (L. anceps x Gur. aurantiaca). Sorry for the long-windedness, but I don't want to leave you all in the dark!

2 comments:

  1. Your posts on dividing and repotting are very helpful, Cody. Wish I had had resources like this when I started with orchids many years ago. I just had to bumble along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! My first repotting attempts weren't that great either, but as they say, trial and error. The funny thing is that just a little while ago, I hated the look and thought of using CHC, and now not only do I love how it looks, I love using it!

    ReplyDelete