November 11, 2011

Dividing, Remounting and Potting, Oh My!

Did you know I just love the look of mounted orchids? The Brassavola Grand Stars '#1' you see mounted was the first orchid I ever mounted, so I didn't really get it on properly. Because of this, each new growth decided to go further and further away from the mount, and they actually started to turn around and send new growths away from the mount. Because of this, I decided to unmount the Brassavola, and divide and pot it up.
I was just going to make it two pieces, as it split way in the back, but because the roots were really tangled, I had to cut the back portion off, which left me with three four p'bulb pieces.
I potted them into CHC, and put a thin layer of sphag on top just to help with new roots. Come spring, I can sell or trade two of the divisions.
Here is my Bulb. Meen Legend Jewel in its' pot beside the mount the Brassavola was on.
Here is a quick shot of the crazy roots that were on this thing, and this was after I trimmed a bunch so I could fit it on the mount.
Here is a piece that wouldn't really fit on to the mount, so I cut it off and potted it separately. I will trade it come spring.
And finally, here is everything afterwards, all nicely mounted and potted up. The Bulbo conformed perfectly to the mount, which made it SO easy to mount!

2 comments:

  1. Job well done! Bulbo on the mount looks so cool and those roots are monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I know, it had so much roots that I had to cut some off. I am really excited to see this one scramble around its mount.

    ReplyDelete