November 09, 2012

Shopping spree!

So I had my Dad drive me half way across the city to go to the larger of the two Early's (a garden supply center here in the city) because I know they have a better selection of plastic pots. So, coinciding with my recent repotting of some Bulbophyllum, I decided that I would get a couple of shallow pans/azalea pots for some of the scrambling Bulbos that I have. I ended up with four each of the 8", 7 ", and 6" azalea pots, as I'm hoping that one day my Bulbophyllum get to be massive specimens of many growths. I also got a few smaller pots, as well as another bag of sphagnum and a cool new misting bottle with a cool nozzle! Lol!!!! I spent way more than I was planning on spending! I enjoy shopping for my orchids (as well as shopping FOR orchids)!!!


3 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA, I completely understand spending more than you intended.... I do it annoyingly regularly. And I understand the enjoyment you get from shopping for your orchids, if there is one thing I like best apart from buying plants, it's buying the stuff to go with them :)

    That reminds me.... I need to start saving up money for my next pot shopping, and I need some more sphag too.

    How do you find growing your bulbos in the squat pots? I have all of mine in shallow trays

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice bag of sphagnum you got. Wish our garden centers had something like this. I am stuck with pressed sphag that you need to wet to expand, probably low quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael: Yeah, orchid supply shopping is pretty fun, but nothing beats getting a shipment of orchids in the mail! That is the only downside to the climate I live in, I can only receive orchids via mail safely for about half the year.

      As for the Bulbos, I haven't paid all that much attention to them and what makes them happy or not for the amount of time that I've had them, so I can't really comment on their culture. The main reason I bought the azalea pots is because I've heard from the pro's that its the best thing to do, and because I have a few scrambling species with looooong rhizomes!

      orchideya: Yeah, I'm actually glad I found that they had decent sphagnum moss, as the only other place I could get sphagnum locally was at my orchid society meetings, and you never know when you are going to need to repot a lot of 'chids at once. Although they did have a good selection of pots, I am thinking about trying an order at rePotme with getting some pots that will be really good for the Bulbos, as well as some high quality sphagnum.

      Delete