November 11, 2012

More contemplation.

   So I am still in that same creative mood as I was yesterday, and in addition I am listening to Kishi Bashi - I Am The Antichrist To You, so I might be in a rambling mood, although I might correct it before I actually post this.

   I think I'm going to expand on my last little statement from my last post: giving back to the orchid world. I'm not too sure what causes it, but I have noticed that when two people have a common hobby/interest, it is much easier to form a strong friendship with them in a shorter time than it would take with a person that you have a common interest with. Two people who both actively grow orchids are going to get along together much faster than two people who like orchids from a distance. I know that for myself, this is quite true, as I would consider myself 'different' from your average teenager, and at least for myself, I have a close-knit group of friends I've known for years, and outside that, I am not the best at making new ones, unless of course, they grow orchids. I have a few friends that I have met via an orchid forum, and in such a short time they have become very good friends of mine.

   I think that this common hobby, and it almost seems peculiar to orchid-growers, is what causes such friendliness in general. People already tend to do whatever it takes to get something done or do something when it comes to a hobby they love, so how much more motivation will there be when that thing you are doing not only involves the hobby you are passionate about, but a person that you know and care about. I can't even begin to talk about all the great things that have happened and the generosities that have come about from fellow orchid friends. It is simply amazing knowing there are people who will enjoy your company regardless of your beliefs or the way you live your life at home. I don't think it is often that you can get a group of people who are willing to put down their walls of beliefs and prejudices and get along with others, that, in other circumstances, you would have never talked to. This is one of the reasons that I love this hobby (more so a passion) so much.

   Keeping this in mind, who wouldn't want to give back to the orchid world? I know that for myself, it is a great motivating factor. For the past year I have been making sure to arrive at my orchid society meetings early, as I want to help with things that seem so simple and sometimes being unappreciated. However important doing the small and simple things is, I can't but help feeling that this isn't the most that I can do. I have a strong desire to do things even greater for this hobby that so many people share, and it isn't not out of a desire for fame that I am wishing to do greater things, but a true, genuine passion. I know for sure that one of my desires is to become an accredited AOS judge, and if there was a center in my city, I can tell you for sure that I would be there in training if I was permitted to. I am not going to be satisfied with my life sitting back and watching a world of opportunities pass by. . .

1 comment:

  1. My young padawan, I'm sure you will find many ways to give back to the orchid world, whether it is working on conservation, hybridization, mentoring others, or education.

    Also, setting up chairs before your OS meeting and putting them away afterwards is extraordinarily helpful. :)

    Rangi

    ReplyDelete