February 24, 2013

Three Phalaenopsis flasks!

   Sooooooooooo excited right now! My orchid society went to a show in Edmonton, Alberta this weekend, and although I couldn't go, I was able to preorder from a few vendors. I was going to get some mature plants, but when I saw that Ching Hua had a list of flasks for sale that could be brought to the show, I decided to take a look at the list. At first I stared in awe as dozens of unfamiliar names appeared. After a few minutes of Googling names, I found three flasks that suited my fancy and wants. Going left to right in the picture below, I bought: Dtps. (Hsinying Webber 'Happy' AM/AOS x Hsinying Sonata),  Dtps. Hsinying Pink Mount x sib, and Phal. (Sogo Yukidian 'F4' x Join Grace 'TH288-4').
   The first cross is sorta a gamble; I found a few excellent pictures of Hsinying Webber 'Happy', yet I could only find one, low quality picture of Hsinying Sonata, and none of Hsinying Sonata's parents. From the pictures I've seen, this cross should yield some great, large purples with some veining on the flowers.
   The next cross is pretty safe, as it is a sibling cross between a semi alba hybrid, so I think this will mainly be semialbas, with some potentially having a blush, depending on the genetics.
   The last cross, Sogo Yukidian 'F4' x Join Grace 'TH288-4' is the one I'm looking forward to the most! For those who don't know, Sogo Yukidian is one of the cutting edge, huge standard whites with fabulous form. The specific Join Grace cultivar used in this cross is another great white that can have flowers up to six inches across. I can't wait to have I've of these give me a two to three foot long inflorescence with fifteen or more flowers that are five and a half inches or more wide. It is guaranteed to be high quality, and something I use in breeding a lot!

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea you can order like this. Is there a website where you can order? Or is it only through personal connections?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! It is so much fun to watch them grow. The plantlets look quite substantial and healthy. Good luck with them.
    I am working on my pre-order for Montreal show. There will be Ooi Orchids nursery, Orchids Limited and Orchis Floriculturing coming, all three have a wonderful selection of phals, so hard to choose just a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. É interessante e muito lindo de ver.
    Obrigada por compartilhar.
    abraços

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa: When it comes to orchid shows, usually you can find a website (made by the orchid society that is hosting the show) that informs you what vendors are going to the show. From there you can find out from the vendors a list of what you can preorder to be brought to the show, and then once show time comes, you pay for the plants and take them home with you. This is pretty much what my orchid society did, but on a much larger scale. This enabled the people who weren't going to the show (like me) to still be able to order stuff. However, if a person isn't part of an orchid society does this, you would have to individually contact vendors to see if they would mail plants to you once arriving here in Canada, although that would have to wait for the warmer months.

    Orchideya: Yeah, I'm pretty excited to see them grow up, plus it gives me plenty of seedlings I can sell or trade! Since these crosses won't have that much diversity, and because the plants will get large, I only plan on keeping two or three of each to bloom out, and I'll either sell or trade the rest.

    Blog da Bete: Obrigado por seu comentário. Estou animado para vê-los crescer e florescer.

    ReplyDelete