December 31, 2013

New Year's Eve Update!

   Ugh, I should rename this blog "Update Every Once in a Blue Moon". Once again, here I am, apologising to any human who may still be checking my blog every once in a while for an update. If you are one of those resilient few, today is your lucky day! So yes, I know I haven't updated since August, but, like, whatever, I am back once again, after a teary-eyed reunion with my moving day posts. In usual fashion, the exciting pictures after the break!


   Well, since it has been so long since my last update, there's no point trying to chronologically track what has happened since then, but I'll give a quick gist. As far as I can remember (yikes for my memory), there have only been four loses since the last update. The (Penang Violacea x Corning's Violet), unfortunately, bit the dust shortly with wet rot after I once again decided to give the plants a quick misting. I don't know why I haven't learnt my lesson, but the plant loss every time I do that is at least an average of 0.8 per misting. The amboinensis, (gigantean x LD's Bear Queen), and (venosa x Kuangfeng's Glory) succumbed to, believe it or not, more mites! I don't know what plant brought them in, but I think they are pretty under control now. . . I hope. . .

   So here is a quick shot of my closet as it is today.


   My little fishtank has the new addition of my Penang Girl remake, the seedlings that I have now after I pollinated my venosa just over two years ago. I also did a little revamp to my upper lights. I added in a third ballast, allowing me to have the usual, mid-range colour bulb of 6400K, a blue 10000K, and a red 2700K. For the entire duration of growing under lights up until now, I have used just two 6400K bulbs, and have had no issues growing or flowering plants. However, I have read bits and threads here and there about the added extreme blue and red ends of the spectrum can help plants bloom and grow. I don't want to make any promises or say I have hard evidence of this, but I have just discovered three new spikes in the few weeks after adding them in. I also have been keeping the hours of light at a consistent high of just over 14 hours per day, so I don't know if that was the sole reason, the contributor, or just a little push.


   Here are my seedlings as of now, and I am really happy with their growth so far. The bottom right is my Penang Girl seedlings, which, in honesty, I have no clue if they are doing superior or inferior, as they are my first novelty seedlings from flask. The two middle pots are the seedlings of my Join Star, and considering they are tetraploid, and were much larger from flask compared to my Penang Girl, they are growing quite well, with lots of nice roots and leaves. The Hsinying Pink Mount seedlings in the upper left are the ones I am most pleased with. It may be simple genetics, the conditions of the seedlings, or whatever, but they have grown wonderfully, and I have some pretty hefty plants that could be moved to pots of two or three.

   Now moving on to happenings in the upper level!


   This is my philippinensis with a nice little new spike (I say this knowing there is a miniscule chance it's a basal kieki, but I really doubt it), the second most recent to appear. Quite frankly, I was surprised at this,  as I thought the plant wasn't old enough, although it has been going crazy growing new roots.


   Here is another spike I was excited to find. My Tying Shin Glider had the evidence of an old spike on it when it arrived, and according to my research, should bloom in the spring. I don't know if it is a result of the lights or the longer days I'm making in my closet, but this little spike appeared a week or so ago. I'm hoping to get an impressive display, as it has grown nearly a dozen new roots since it arrived.


   I don't know if you'll actually be able to see this spike, as it just emerged a few days ago. It's to the left of that root tip you see on the stem. This is my Chienlung Luedgiana, which I am very excited to see bloom! I'm hoping for something super spectacular, but I'm sure I'll be happy regardless of the outcome.


   This is my K S Jadegreen, which started two new spikes about a month ago. It had a spike on it when it first arrived, plus a new leaf in the making. However, that old spike soon yellowed, leaving me a tad disappointed. Since then, it has completed that leaf, grown new roots, and now has these two great spikes you can see!

Here is the older of the two spikes with four buds and counting.


   And finally, a quite mature spike on my stuartiana (var. nobilis x 'Green'). To my mind, the tip of the spike currently looks like a head of asparagus, and I know I have at least several buds coming from this little plant (leafspan is under 12"). I know this is its first time flowering, but it has been growing quite well. I just don't know if I want to try taxing it with a pod just yet. . .

   Well, that is the end of this update. I want to take an extra moment to thank everyone who regularly (read: every few months) checks in here for the recent happenings in my closet. It was thinking of all of you that encouraged me to make this post! I'm glad I got it in for the end of 2013! HAPPY NEW YEAR'S FROM MY ORCHIDS TO YOURS!

2 comments: