May 10, 2013

Some latest blooms!

   Wow. . . I don't even want to know how long it's been since I've made a post. . . I've been thinking about making a post here for the past couple of days, and finally the guilt has won, and I now feel obligated to make this for you. I don't have progress pictures, for if I did, I would be here making this for several hours. One day soon I'll post a few pictures here and there for some plant updates. A lot has happened since I last updated, such as new spikes, flowers, and deaths due to those cursed mites. However, shipping weather is pretty much upon us, and I'm totally itching to buy some new plants. Ahhh, I'm so excited for shipping season! Hehe, I just noticed that I think of the seasons of the year in two categories, winter, and shipping season. Anyways, pictures after the break!


   So I bought this new Phal, Taida Gold Kochdian, at my latest orchid society meeting in a silent auction, and the bidding was fierce, which I feel is the result of the plant being in bloom. I decided to buy it because it has some really unique colours and patterns, which sets it apart from other yellowish standards.

 

    Next up is my Meirs Penang Princess, which I received as a gift last summer for my birthday. Shortly after receiving it, it sent up two basal kiekis, and then plenty of roots. Even though I was hoping for a spike, I know in the long run basal kiekis will benefit the plant, and I got a spike soon afterwards anyways. I really enjoy the colour and pattern of this flower, and although the form isn't the best, I know it will get better.



   And one of the ones I'm most excited for, the reblooming of my (amboinensis x LD's Bear Queen). It bloomed last year with okay colour and form, but I kept it knowing that both will improve as the plant ages, plus I loved the pattern. A cross I did with this as the pollen parent has recently split, which is unfortunate as my flasker prefers to do greenpods, and he was out of town when it split. The seeds are stored in a container, with the hopes that he will be able to sanitize and sow them.



   Finally, my Tying Shin Golden Queen that was bred and raised by the man who does my flasking. It opened a dark reddish purple, but over time has faded to a more intense and lighter purple. The plant is quite vigourous too, so I am definitely trying to breed with this, especially since I received a large amount of pollen from a friend of mine in the US.

1 comment:

  1. You do some amazing work! I'm so glad I found your post. I hope to use it to improve my skills at keeping orchids alive (heaven forbid they re-bloom). I'd love to expand my collection and purchase some orchids off of you, when you have some to sell (I'm in Saskatoon also). Cheers!

    ReplyDelete