December 03, 2012

12/02/12 Update!

   Ugh, winter is beginning to set in here in Saskatchewan. . . we just got like 8" of snow last night, and we are supposed to be getting more. . . thankfully I have my Closet Paradise to get me through the winter!


   Ok, so I officially love my little Hiroshima Tetratris! This guy is a real trooper, as not only has it held this older pod, but it flowered again a few weeks ago (as you would know from my last post) that I pollinated, and this pod is really growing at a break-neck speed!
   EDIT: This guy has just earned some more kudos, as I think I have found the beginning of a second spike! The tip hasn't shown signs of differentiation, but it does look pretty ovular to be a root. It may be making more buds on the current spike anyways. . . I think I might push this plant and put a third pod on the (potentially) new coming spike, but by that time, the almost mature pod should be ready to come off. I'm thinking of using speciosa pollen to make something similar to Brooke's Georgie Girl (Taida Sunshine x tetraspsis) from Orchid Geeks. Since Hiroshima Tetratris is (speciosa x equestris), and I'll be using speciosa pollen, I expect to get results close to Georgie Girl '#6'.
 
Hiroshima Tetratris pods.



Hirishima Tetratris in flower.

  
   Next, my lueddemanniana is making a new leaf, plus plenty of roots! A friend of mine got a luedde from the same vendor with a stalled spike, so I am really hoping that mine starts a new spike in the spring!!!!
lueddemanniana


   My Joy Spring Canary 'Rainbow World' looks like like it is making a comeback!! This plant had such a bad case of spider mites that kinda left the leaves crippled, but the mites kinda just disappeared one day. . . This new leaf has me pretty happy, as it looks like it is going to be quite large due to the fact that it is long and narrow at the moment, so I know it still has a lot of growing left.
Joy Spring Canary 'Rainbow World'

   Kuntrarti Rarashati 'Copperstate' is getting closer to opening its first bud, and at the moment six buds are visible. The second spike on the mother is also visible right behind the largest bud. I also decided to remove its kieki, as it has a very good roots system of its own, and I was getting annoyed with having to deal with having it attached to the mother.
Kuntrarti Rarashati 'Copperstate' mother plant.

   I have the spike on the kieki under heavy training, especially because it is already showing signs of buds.
Kuntrarti Rarashati 'Copperstate' kieki.
  
   My pallens has been naughty and nice to me in the pas week. After doing a large amount of nothing, as I stated in my last post it started to make spikes, roots, a kieki, and a leaf. However, the past two buds on the older spike blasted on me, which is quite frustrating. Thankfully both of the inflorescences are working on buds, so I hope to eventually have one of them reach the opening stage!
A plethora of growth on pallens.
  
   After just a little to long, the newest spike on my amboinensis 'Oriental' has finally offered me a bud!!!!! I'm almost glad in a way because I know have some pollen that was sent to me, and I should be getting some other pollen pretty soon to use. . . I just don't know what I'm going to do with it! I'll be glad for the opportunity to get some good pictures of it.
amboinensis 'Oriental'

   And as most of you know, here are the two buds on my much anticipated Yungho Gelb Canary that I have been so dang anxious to have bloom!!! The larger bud on the right is beginning to properly position itself to open, so I think it should be ready in about a week or so. . .
Yungho Gelb Canary 'Chin Yeo'



No comments:

Post a Comment