November 29, 2011

Diseased Blc. Yellow Bells

Ugh, this one doesn't get a tag, because I had to throw the plant out! I didn't notice anything until I got home. I was going to mount it, so I took it out of its' pot, and the poor 'chids roots were toast. I then noticed a blackened area on the base of one of the p'bulbs. I panicked, because I have seen this before. I'm not sure if it is bacterial, fungal, or viral, but it spreads from the infection point slowly trough the plant, making the infected areas appear to be brown and dried out. The browned areas will eventually turn black as the rot/virus travels through the plant. Thankfully (?) you can tell how far it has traveled by making cuts in the rhizome. Infected areas will have either a purple arc or complete circle on the inside outside edge of the rhizome.

Here is the plant completely massacred in my search for uninfected tissue, which was to no avail.




Here is a picture of the blackened p'bulb, and then pics of the rhizomes showing the purple discoloration.

No comments:

Post a Comment