October 27, 2016

C. (caulescens x pumila)

   Well, this is another that I received in the first batch AD 2015. It was connected in one piece, but it had grown in two separate ways, so I split it when I last repotted it. When I first got it, I had nothing besides sphagnum, so that's what it went into for a while. One of the leads actually had buds, but I wasn't watering it enough and they blasted. Now I have them in a mix of small bark, medium bark, medium charcoal, and sphagnum moss. The naming on this was a bit confusing, because it came as L. (mantiqueirae x pumila v. alba). I looked up the mantiqueirae, and I came up with Soph. mantiqueirae, which didn't match the parent in the images provided by the breeder. So I found out that since both Laelia and Sophronitis have been sunk into Cattleya, L. mantiqueirae became C. caulescens and Soph. mantiqueirae became C. mantiqueirae. Confusing, right?


   The larger of the two divisions, but not the one that tried to flower, has a sheath developing, and it looks like everything is coming along healthily. Nothing is showing signs of getting caught on itself, so I think I should get blooms from this.

   Both of these new leads seemed to stall for a bit, but now that I have them in my new setup, they're both starting to pick up again. This division tried blooming, but now this new lead has no signs of a sheath, and I can't remember if the last growth had one when it tried to bloom. I guess we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment